Rex Tillerson is an unfit and potentially dangerous pick for Secretary of State because of his ties to Russia, obvious conflicts of interest as one of the world’s biggest representatives of the oil industry, lack of experience and history of climate denial. If Democrats unite behind rejecting Rex Tillerson, then only three Republican defections are needed to stop him.
CALL TO ACTION
Call our Senators TODAY and ask them to:
- Thoroughly question Rex Tillerson about his role in defrauding the public for decades about climate change and the fossil fuel industry’s role in perpetrating global warming.
- Question Tillerson’s stance on climate change, on the Russian hacking of the election and the investigation of Trump’s alleged ties to Russia.
- Reject Rex Tillerson as Secretary of State
Yesterday Rex Tillerson completed his first day of Senate hearings. How did it go?
- Tillerson condemned Russia’s annexation of the Crimean region of Ukraine, but failed to clearly answer probes on how he views the Russian hacking of the election. The result was to raise further questions about Tillerson’s well-documented ties to Russia and how compromised he would be as Secretary of State given his conflicts of interest and relationship with Putin. Marco Rubio and Lindsey Graham both expressed doubts about Tillerson’s fitness for Secretary of State at the end of the day yesterday, and others may follow.
- Tillerson repeatedly acknowledged the threat and reality of climate change, a curious departure from his own company’s stance on the subject. However, he failed to admit the fossil fuel industry’s role in climate change and dodged questions about how much Exxon knew about climate change and when, contradicting strong evidence that Exxon has known about oil and gas’ significant contribution to global warming since the late 1970s. Exxon/Mobile has been one of the world’s largest and longest running funders of climate climate denial in the name of corporate gain, possibly perpetrating our nation’s largest corporate crime and risking the health and lives of millions of people. Exxon’s tactics put the tobacco industry to shame. So why this sudden declaration that climate change is real? Is it so our Senators don’t dig deeper on the subject at his hearing?
- Besides his stated views on the Russian invasion of Ukraine and on climate change, Tillerson also broke with Trump on trade, expressing his support for the Trans Pacific Partnership.
- Tillerson outright refused to denounce the behavior of Russia, China, Saudi Arabia and the Philippines on well-documented human rights abuses, much to the disappointment even of key GOP senators who called into question Tillerson’s moral clarity.
- On a good note, Tillerson rejected the idea of a Muslim registry and called Mexico a “longstanding neighbor and friend of this country”.
Did you take action?
Tell us what you did and how it went!