Representative Patrice Arent has an appropriations request in for additional Air Quality monitors for the Wasatch Front. This is not in the form of a bill, and won’t go through the Natural Resources Committee, but rather will go through the Appropriations committee for funding.
WE NEED TO RALLY PUBLIC SUPPORT FOR THESE MONITORS!
CALL TO ACTION
It’s getting late in the session. So the best outreach is three-fold.
- Contact the Executive Appropriations Committee members about this program (see members and contact information below). Be sure to mention if you are a constituent!
- Write Letters to the Editor in support of more monitors
- Tell at least 5 friends to do the same
- The Governor’s Fiscal Year 2018 Budget includes a recommendation for $1.3 million in one-time and $150,000 ongoing appropriations for air quality.
- The 2016 Legislature appropriated $1 million and $200,000 ongoing in response to the Governor’s 2017 (last year’s) Budget but the entire budget was for $2.16 million, so this appropriations will be the second half of the original budgetary request.
- Utah Department of Environmental Quality (UDEQ) wants these monitors. I’ve attached their Budget Request one page information sheet.
- In order to continue to monitor air quality, these funds are crucial. $1 million of the up-front costs will go to replacing instruments that have out-performed their useful life expectancy. Currently 35% of the air quality monitors are operating beyond their useful lives.
- SL Tribune Op-Ed about air quality monitoring… http://www.sltrib.com/opinion/
- Valerie from our team attended Senator Niederhauser’s townhall on Saturday. She raised this issue, and Sen. Niederhauser indicated it wasn’t a priority because funds were appropriated last year. It’s crucial to indicate to the Executive Members that while the money was appropriated last year, it was only a portion of what was in the Governor’s budget, and this year’s appropriation is merely looking to close the gap or be the second appropriations to the original request from the Governor.
Executive Appropriations Committee Members:
Sen. Jerry Stevenson firstname.lastname@example.org
Rep. Dean Sanpei email@example.com
Sen. Kevin Van Tassell firstname.lastname@example.org
Rep. Bradley Last email@example.com
Sen. J. Stuart Adams firstname.lastname@example.org
Sen. Gene Davis email@example.com
Sen. Luz Escamilla firstname.lastname@example.org
Sen. Jani Iwamoto email@example.com
Sen. Peter Knudson firstname.lastname@example.org
Sen. Karen Mayne email@example.com
Sen. Wayne Neiderhauser firstname.lastname@example.org
Sen. Ralph Okerlund email@example.com
Rep. Joel Briscoe firstname.lastname@example.org
Rep. Francis Gibson email@example.com
Rep. Sandra Hollins firstname.lastname@example.org
Rep. Gregory Hughes email@example.com
Rep. Brian King firstname.lastname@example.org
Rep. John Knotwell email@example.com
Rep. Angela Romero firstname.lastname@example.org
Rep. Brad Wilson email@example.com
Thank you. Please let us know what responses you receive from the various members. Spread the word!