Interior Secretary Ryan Zinke’s review of national monuments has been criticized by many, most recently by Washington Times reporter Ben Wolfe, who wrote that the review is playing out more like reality TV than a government review, with Zinke announcing winners and losers as he goes and failing to explain his decision-making process. Zinke must make his final recommendations on over 29 national monuments by August 24th.
Did you know that 60% of Utahns want to see our National Monuments kept as is? Why? Because monuments make us great — economically, recreationally, spiritually, culturally, and historically. That’s why we need to keep the pressure on Secretary Zinke to protect Bears Ears and Grand Staircase by neither repealing nor scaling back the boundaries of our great National Monuments.
CALL TO ACTION
- Share, share, share on social media. Here is a list of 5 great pieces to spread around on social media. Share one every day until August 24th. Use hashtags #StandWithBearsEars #StandWithGrandStaircase or #BearsEars, #GrandStaircase, #BENM or #GSENM and #MonumentsForAll or #mymonuments.
1. Indian Country Today op-ed: “National Monuments Help Preserve Native Cultures“
SHARE AND LIKE: https://www.facebook.com/protectbearsears/posts/1368342789950144
TWEET something like:
- Opinion: #MonumentsForAll help preserve Native cultures http://bit.ly/2wezHKV #StandWithBearsEars! @SecretaryZinke
- “#BearsEars is an example of the process working correctly.” #StandWithBearsEars! http://bit.ly/2wezHKV @SecretaryZinke #MonumentsForAll
- #StandWithBearsEars! Claiming designation was made without local feedback disregards Native voices: http://bit.ly/2wezHKV@SecretaryZinke
2. Salt Lake Tribune: “Ex-Interior Secretary calls move to shrink Bears Ears illegal, on the ‘wrong side of history’“
SHARE AND LIKE: https://www.facebook.com/protectbearsears/posts/1364014810382942
3. Medium: “Dispatches from Monumental America: A Listening Tour” – a collection of videos featuring rural voices produced by The Wilderness Society.
SHARE AND LIKE: https://www.facebook.com/ActionUtah/posts/1249509141843230
4. Deseret News op-ed: “Shrinking Bears Ears is short-sighted and wrong” – by the president of the Audubon Society
TWEET: Shrinking Bears Ears is short-sighted and wrong says Audubon Society http://bit.ly/2ueiX8S @SecretaryZinke #StandWithBearsEars!
5. Deseret News op-ed: “Land is the key to strengthening the economy of Utah” – by Utah Outdoor Partners
SHARE AND LIKE: https://www.facebook.com/ActionUtah/posts/1232462800214531
TWEET something like:
- One reason why Utahns want to see #BearsEars and #GrandStaircase left alone: Utah’s economy. http://bit.ly/2tX8E6f @SecretaryZinke
- Utah’s economy is strengthened by protection of our public lands via National Monuments. @SecretaryZinke keep our #MonumentsForAll http://bit.ly/2tX8E6f
6. Meme: Tribes Continue to Stand with Bears Ears