Looking back on a great year.
Many of you have been actively advocating for numerous causes. Others of you advocate only for the issues that matter to you most in the limited time that you have. Others still are just starting to become civically engaged — maybe for the first time ever — and to learn how powerful community lobbying can be. No matter your experience level or how often you take action, we’re proud of you for what you’ve accomplished this year!
Together, we have done great things!
This has been a big year for ordinary Utahns who are getting their voices heard on the issues that matter to them most. Action Utah has been there every step of the way to educate, train and provide community advocacy opportunities for ordinary Utahns like you and me. Here’s a snapshot of what we’ve done this year.
Check out what’s ahead for 2018!
2017 was a great year, but we’re always getting better, and we have a lot in store for 2018 to help you make an even greater impact. Here is a look at what’s coming up right away in the new year:
The 2018 State Legislative Session is just around the corner. Action Utah leaders have been working all year to track and develop good state policy YOU can impact. We will be listing a terrific slate of bills in our 2018 Bill Tracker for you to follow and support. Be sure to use our State Legislative Session Advocacy Plan to get yourself ready! We will be bringing you Events and meaningful calls to action to keep you informed and civically engaged throughout the brief 45-day session. Be sure to mark your calendar and join us!
- Lobbying 101 Webinar: How to Use the State Legislative Website (le.utah.gov) – Early January (date TBD), online only. Learn how to use this great resource and tool to impact the policies you care about from home or work.
- Women’s Advocacy Seminar: How to Impact Policies That Impact Women – Wed, January 10th, 12:00p at the SL Chamber Boardroom. Learn how how women can impact good legislation supporting women and family economic prosperity during the upcoming 2018 State Legislative Session. With Women’s Leadership Institute.
- Action Utah’s Annual Legislative Preview – Wed, January 24th, 7:00-8:30p, Marmalade Branch Library in Salt Lake. Save the date for an evening with legislators learning about some of the great bills coming up during the State Legislative Session starting January 22 that need community support. Action Utah will also cover some community lobbying tips and skills to help you make an impact on policy decisions at the state level.
- Weekly Action Utah Lobby Day at the State Capitol – Tuesdays at 12:30p, Seagull Room in the Senate (East) Building. Join Action Utah leaders and members on Capitol Hill each week as we review our slate of good bills and how ordinary community members like you and me can help impact them. Hear from legislators, get community lobbying tips, then head onto the lobbying floor to talk to legislators about the issues you care about and help influence policy decisions.
We look forward to serving you in our mission to boost civic engagement across Utah in 2018 and beyond!
O Come All Resisters: Tax Plan Action & Holiday Gathering – TODAY, 4:30-7:30p at the Federal Building in SLC. “Twisted” caroling to protest the tax reform bill, followed by a holiday gathering at the Impact Hub. This event is co-hosted by numerous grassroots organizations.
Healthier Utah Coalition’s Healthcare Action Day – TODAY. Join other Utahns advocating from home or work for CHIP and community health centers and against the “sneaky repeal” of healthcare in the tax reform bill.
Show your giving spirit over the holidays
It’s the holidays. Time to take a break and enjoy the season, focus on what is most important to you, practice some self-care and be part of the season of giving. But you can still make a tremendous impact this holiday season by donating your time and/or financial support to organizations that are making a difference right here in our Utah communities. We compiled this list of some of our favorite nonpolitical organizations to give you some ideas. But don’t feel limited to these organizations. There are thousands of great advocacy and political organizations and nonprofits improving policy and our communities in Utah. Pick your favorites and show them some love!
1. Support one of these great charitable organizations right here in Utah:
- UCAIR – A statewide clean air partnership created to make it easier for individuals, businesses and communities to make small changes to improve Utah’s air.
- International Rescue Committee Utah – Helping refugees rebuild their lives in our community.
- Salty Cricket – Composer’s collective supporting new musicians and providing high quality educational outreach to K-12 students.
- People Helping People – Breaking the cycle of poverty for low-income women by teaching them how to earn a living wage.
- Catholic Community Services – Serving the homeless and hungry, refugees fleeing their homes because of persecution, and those fighting addiction in Salt Lake City.
- Rape Recovery Center – Empowering survivors of sexual violence through advocacy, crisis intervention and therapy and educating the community about sexual violence.
- Utah Food Bank – Fighting hunger in Utah for over 110 years
- Envision Utah – Engaging Utahns in creating and sustaining communities that are beautiful, prosperous, healthy and neighborly for current and future residents.
Don’t have time during the holidays to volunteer? UServeUtah is asking for pledges of volunteer support during the rest of the year. Pledge your support today!
2. Support Action Utah – Help us pursue our mission of boosting civic engagement across Utah and elevating the voices of ordinary people like you and me in the policy issues that matter to them most. We depend on support from members like you to keep our lights on and our engines running. Donations to Action Utah will help us:
- Grow our Education Program to empower community members from across the state
- Build our Leadership Development Program to train Utah’s future leaders in advocacy and policy
- Support development and advocacy of good state policies during the 2018 State Legislative Session
- Boost our ability to reach you with meaningful actions on federal, state and local issues
Happy Holidays from Action Utah!
Take a moment to reflect on all your advocacy efforts this year — large and small — and give yourself a well-deserved pat on the back. You’ve learned about the issues and how to impact them. You’ve taken action whenever you could and fit a civic engagement routine into your life. You’ve also encouraged others to do the same. We’re proud of you!
It’s been a grand journey with you this first year at Action Utah. From all of us at Action Utah, we wish you the very best for a happy holiday season!
Andrea & Katie
Co-Founders, Action Utah