Press conference this morning at 10:00a!
This morning tribal leaders will gather at the State Capitol to oppose proposed federal legislation that would make the dramatic cuts to Bears Ears National Monument permanent. H.R. 4532: Shash Jaa National Monument and Indian Creek National Monument Act would make these cuts permanent and render all lawsuits questioning the legality of the cuts as moot. Please add your support for Bears Ears by attending today’s press conference and standing in solidarity with the crowd.
Whether you can make it or not, take a few moments to spread the word about the press conference, how H.R. 4532 impacts BENM and how Utahns feel about Bears ears by sharing these great media pieces online.
CALL TO ACTION
Share these media pieces far and wide on social media. Use hashtags: #MonumentsForAll and #StandWithBearsEars. On Twitter, tag @NatResources and @RepJohnCurtis.
– The Hill op-ed: “Utah bill tramples on tribal sovereignty at Bears Ears” (by Carleton Bowekaty and Shaun Chapoose, co-chairs of the Bears Ears Inter-Tribal Coalition)
- A new @RepJohnCurtis bill would undermine the ability of Tribes to protect important Bears Ears resources. @savebearsears leaders explain: http://bit.ly/2lOJZxZ #StandWithBearsEars #MonumentsForAll @NatResources
– The Mercury News op-ed: “Trump attacks on National Monuments rips Native American culture from our history” (written by leaders of two American Tribes in California)
- #StandWithBearsEars! “By eliminating protections for this sacred national monument, @POTUS is saying that there’s nothing worth protecting in these lands. This is…an affront to Native Americans all across the country.” http://bayareane.ws/2qu1zNn #MonumentsForAll @WhiteHouse
– The Hill op-ed: “Trump wrongly cut monuments central to our vision for public lands” (by Utah local, Stephen Trimble)
– High Country News: “Native voices aren’t being heard on Bears Ears“
– Desert News op-ed: “Leave the powers of the Antiquities Act in place” (also by local Utahn, Stephen Trimble)