URGENT: Take this quick survey to tell Congress how you feel about the ACA

2017-01-17T17:39:44-06:00January 17th, 2017|URGENT Action|8 Comments

Our Utah representatives are trying to repeal the Affordable Care Act (Obamacare) without a viable alternative. Alliance for A Better Utah is conducting a survey to find out what Utahns like or dislike about the ACA so that as our Congressional Delegation works toward repeal, we force them to be informed about what matters to Utahns who benefit from the ACA.

CALL TO ACTION

Make Congress listen to the hundreds of thousands of Utahns who benefit from the ACA.

• Complete this brief ACA SURVEY to share your thoughts on the ACA and why it is important to you. Alliance for a Better Utah will deliver the results straight to our Utah Delegation. It only takes a minute!
  • Spread the word about this survey to get as many responses as we can by the end of the week. The more people who fill out the survey, the more our representatives must listen.
  • Comment to let us know you did it.

8 Comments

1. Anne Hart January 17, 2017 at 6:23 pm - Reply

I’m a 55 year old woman, single parent of a teenage boy. We’re pretty healthy but I have a preexisting condition that will need attention soon. I’d prefer preventative care vs. Emergency care. And you want to defund Planned Parenthood. Where do you expect me to get my health needs met. Stop playing politics with my health. Trust women to make their choices. Tell the Truth!

2. Mark Kimmig January 17, 2017 at 6:24 pm - Reply

The ACA is miss named it’s the unaffordable health care act, it was passed totally partisan, it’s MANDATED ( then Obama bragged how many signed up…. REALLY!) premiums, and deductibles skyrocketed, it’s a total disaster!

3. Cameron Morgan January 17, 2017 at 6:30 pm - Reply

I am a therapist and social worker with a pre-existing condition. Obamacare protects not only me, but also allows 143,000 Utahns to access mental health insurance. The CBO just stated that an obamacare repeal would leave 18 million without insurance in the first year-this is neither humane nor cost effective as a repeal would also cost over 350 billion. Save obamacare!

4. TB January 17, 2017 at 9:45 pm - Reply

My husband is currently unemployed. With COBRA we would have to pay $1500/month to insure our family. Because of ACA we are able to recieve a tax credit and save $1200/month in health and dental insurance. Thank you!

5. Barbara Brown January 17, 2017 at 11:40 pm - Reply

I have health insurance through my spouse’s employer, but I support the ACA because I believe all my fellow Americans deserve the right to have health care. Our children, as undergraduate and graduate students, have benefitted from being able to remain on our coverage until they are 26. I know there are issues about Obamacare that need to be fixed–but why doesn’t Congress work to address them rather than repealing the whole thing, then spending years to “replace” it? That tack sounds very politically motivated to me, not motivated by a desire to help all Americans.

6. Kathryn Syssoyeva January 18, 2017 at 9:18 am - Reply

My son has epilepsy. Currently he is on Cobra Care from my husband’s former job in California – but he is 19 now. Will he be bounced off Cobra Care if the ACA is dismantled? Will I be able to switch him to my Utah employer’s coverage? If not, with a pre-existing condition, will he be able to buy insurance once Cobra runs out in 12 months? My mother and father are aging in Massachusetts. Are they going to be able to get by on their retirement savings if medicare and medicaid are cut back as the senate proposed? These are terrifying times for so many of us.

7. JVW January 18, 2017 at 10:54 am - Reply

Do not abandon the ACA without a better plan to support those who need health insurance “right away”…none both this “we’re going to have one soon BS” that would be a huge mistake. Get your acts together and come up with a better plan before abandoning the current ACA.

8. Meaghan January 18, 2017 at 7:24 pm - Reply

My daughter birth cost 10 times more than my son’s. Why? Because after my son was born my employer decided that they did not want to pay for good insurance any more, except for the corporate offices. Effectively giving thousands of employees a pay cut and themselves bigger bonuses. Then they switched to a company that would not cover the one and only hospital in the county. So we switched to insurance through my husband’s work. Then he died suddenly. His company was nice enough to pay the COBRA costs for a month while I scrambled to find insurance for me and my kids. When that time ran out and we were dropped from the COBRA, the insurance company unpaid for my surgery and all medical bills after the date of my husband’s death. Even though they had received their premiums. The private insurance I found kept getting more expensive and paying less. I finally had to drop it as I could not pay premiums and for my daughter’s medication. Even with $300 a month for my daughter’s medication, another $100 a month for my son’s, frequent winter doctor visits for my son, paying out of pocket was less than paying for insurance. Most of the problems with the ACA were caused by the republicans who were trying to block everything President Obama did no matter how many people died because of it. We are paying for Congress to have the best insurance in the land. They are our employees. What is good enough for them is good enough for us and what is good enough for us is good enough for them. Repeal Congress’ insurance and let them use whatever they plan to “replace” the ACA with. When they have shown us how good it is and how well it works for them, they we can discuss repealing the ACA.