Rep. Brian King’s HB 178: Good Landlord Amendments prohibits a municipality from requiring a residential landlord to deny tenancy to an individual based on the individual’s criminal history. Stable housing is essential for reintegrating people with a criminal history back into society and giving them the best chance at succeeding. We need people to reach out to their representatives to VOTE YES on this bill.
Ogden area folks – it is particularly important for you to weigh in on this one by contacting your state representative immediately!
HB 178 will be heard on the House floor THIS MORNING AFTER 10:00AM, agenda number 14.
CALL TO ACTION
- Email your state representative THIS MORNING BEFORE 10AM to ask them to vote YES on HB 178: Good Landlord Amendments. Find your state representative by clicking here.
Use this subject header:
“I LIVE IN YOUR DISTRICT – Please support R. King’s bill, HB178 Good Landlord Amendments”
Please use these talking points:
· Without the amendments proposed in HB 178, the Good Landlords Act potentially separates families – when individuals are leaving corrections often times they are married and cannot join their families due to not being able to be added to the lease.
· The wavier program does not allow individuals who have been offered a job in Ogden the ability to obtain a waiver; therefore it is a barrier to economic mobility.
· This bill would give individuals who have done their time to be able to have housing choices in higher opportunity areas.
· I believe people have done their time and deserve a second chance.
Legislators in the House who need to be contacted include: