Representative Patrice Arent has an appropriations request in for additional Air Quality monitors for the Wasatch Front. This is not in the form of a bill, and won’t go through the Natural Resources Committee, but rather will go through the Appropriations committee for funding.
WE NEED TO RALLY PUBLIC SUPPORT FOR THESE MONITORS!
CALL TO ACTION
It’s getting late in the session. So the best outreach is three-fold.
- Contact the Executive Appropriations Committee members about this program (see members and contact information below). Be sure to mention if you are a constituent!
- Write Letters to the Editor in support of more monitors
- Tell at least 5 friends to do the same
- The Governor’s Fiscal Year 2018 Budget includes a recommendation for $1.3 million in one-time and $150,000 ongoing appropriations for air quality.
- The 2016 Legislature appropriated $1 million and $200,000 ongoing in response to the Governor’s 2017 (last year’s) Budget but the entire budget was for $2.16 million, so this appropriations will be the second half of the original budgetary request.
- Utah Department of Environmental Quality (UDEQ) wants these monitors. I’ve attached their Budget Request one page information sheet.
- In order to continue to monitor air quality, these funds are crucial. $1 million of the up-front costs will go to replacing instruments that have out-performed their useful life expectancy. Currently 35% of the air quality monitors are operating beyond their useful lives.
- SL Tribune Op-Ed about air quality monitoring… http://www.sltrib.com/opinion/
- Valerie from our team attended Senator Niederhauser’s townhall on Saturday. She raised this issue, and Sen. Niederhauser indicated it wasn’t a priority because funds were appropriated last year. It’s crucial to indicate to the Executive Members that while the money was appropriated last year, it was only a portion of what was in the Governor’s budget, and this year’s appropriation is merely looking to close the gap or be the second appropriations to the original request from the Governor.
Executive Appropriations Committee Members:
Sen. Jerry Stevenson email@example.com
Rep. Dean Sanpei firstname.lastname@example.org
Sen. Kevin Van Tassell email@example.com
Rep. Bradley Last firstname.lastname@example.org
Sen. J. Stuart Adams email@example.com
Sen. Gene Davis firstname.lastname@example.org
Sen. Luz Escamilla email@example.com
Sen. Jani Iwamoto firstname.lastname@example.org
Sen. Peter Knudson email@example.com
Sen. Karen Mayne firstname.lastname@example.org
Sen. Wayne Neiderhauser email@example.com
Sen. Ralph Okerlund firstname.lastname@example.org
Rep. Joel Briscoe email@example.com
Rep. Francis Gibson firstname.lastname@example.org
Rep. Sandra Hollins email@example.com
Rep. Gregory Hughes firstname.lastname@example.org
Rep. Brian King email@example.com
Rep. John Knotwell firstname.lastname@example.org
Rep. Angela Romero email@example.com
Rep. Brad Wilson firstname.lastname@example.org
Thank you. Please let us know what responses you receive from the various members. Spread the word!