SB 151: Property Tax Relief Modifications is a bi-partisan bill sponsored by Sen. Dabakis and co-sponsored by Sen. Stephenson. This bill basically changes how water conservancy districts get paid by reducing the property taxes you pay to water districts to conserve water and requiring consumers to pay for their water more on a usage basis.
Why are we asking you to chime in on this seemingly random and boring bill? Three reasons:
- To save water – paying water districts via property taxes encourages high water use by lowering the price of water for large land owners, who are generally the largest water users. Paying for water on a usage basis rewards consumers who conserve water and encourages high water users to conserve as well.
- To lower your property taxes – by taking fees to water districts out of your property tax bill
- To stop the Bear River development, an expensive ($50 million) damming project that would create a catastrophic air pollution problem in the already polluted Salt Lake air shed. Remember the Ken Burns documentary “The Dust Bowl“? Yeah, the Bear River development would create that — right here in Utah. Not good.
This may sound like a no-brainer, but the water lobby is working hard to push the Bear River development through, despite the fact that it is NOT NEEDED. Let’s rally together TODAY and drive support for SB 151 in the Senate Committee hearing TOMORROW MORNING at 8:00AM!
CALL TO ACTION
- Contact the members of the Senate Natural Resources, Agriculture and Environment Committee and ask them to “Vote YES on SB 151: Property Tax Relief Modifications” BEFORE TOMORROW MORNING AT 8AM. Be sure to mention if you are a constituent!
- Utah County constituents of Sen. Dayton needed especially! Please contact your state Senator Dayton, the Chair of the Senate Natural Resources, Agriculture and Environment Committee, and ask for her support of SB 151.
- Summit County constituents of Sen. Christensen – show your state senator that constituents want to see him support SB 151!
- SHOW UP for the hearing tomorrow morning to show community support for SB 151! Remember to dress nicely and be respectful. The Senate Natural Resources and Agriculture Committee meeting will take place at 8:00Am in room 415 of the State Capitol (map). SB 151 is third on the agenda.
Use one of these email headers:
“Please vote YES on SB 151: Property Tax Relief Modifications”
“From CONSTITUENT: Please vote YES on SB 151: Property Tax Relief Modifications”
Members of the Senate Natural Resources, Agriculture and Environment Committee to contact:
For more information, watch this video on SB 151: