Bonanza Flats is at risk for sale and development
Bonanza Flats is approximately 1,350 acres of largely flat land with alpine meadows and lakes—it is the land that falls in front of you when you stand atop Guardsman Pass and look from Park City across Midway toward Heber. Popular Lackawaxen Lake and Bloods Lake are within the boundaries of the proposed acquisition, as is the face of the 10420 Peak. The land is privately held, and it is an area that Wasatch Front and Wasatch Back residents have used for recreation for years. This land is the gateway to numerous hiking and biking trails, including the popular Wasatch Crest Trail.
Bonanza Flats will cost a total of $38 million to purchase for conservation and save from development. Park City has passed a $25 million bond to cover a large portion of the cost, but there is still a $13 million funding gap. A coalition of nine nonprofits has raised $10,117,849. They have $2,882,151 left to raise. The deadline has been EXTENDED to June 15th!
CALL TO ACTION
- Make a donation to Save Bonanza Flats by clicking here. All donations through this site will go directly to the protection of Bonanza Flats. If the coalition is unsuccessful, you will receive your donation back. Calling on residents of Park City, Heber, Midway, Salt Lake City and Sandy, plus Wasatch recreation enthusiasts of all kinds to help protect this irreplaceable and quickly disappearing open land.
- Check out some upcoming fundraising events you can attend, starting TOMORROW. Please spread the word to help conserve this amazing area for residents of Summit, Wasatch and Salt Lake Counties and beyond.
Upcoming Fundraising Events
- Park City, UT – From the Heber Creeper Railroad to Rock and Reilly’s folks on the Wasatch Front and Wasatch Back are getting creative to raise money for Bonanza Flat. Utah Open Lands recently announced a coalition event to raise money to match the Wasatch County commitment of $25,000. The event will be held at the pavilion at the Heber Valley Historic Railroad Depot on May 12 from 5:00-7:00p with a free 2 hour train ride starting at 7:00 pm for any one who contributes $15 or more to Bonanza.
- Down in the Salt Lake Valley, Centered City Yoga is holding a Vinyasa Flow and Restore Yoga class with Live Blue Grass music on Friday, May 12th 6:30-8:30 pm. “Bonanza Flats has always felt like a playground to me. A place to engage physically and release mentally” said Kristina Sandi a Yogi at Centered City Yoga. “Banjo accompaniment was my solution to conjuring up imagery of our mountain landscape without actually being outside. I hope this will be the first of many bluegrass and yoga collaborations to benefit the conservation of our open lands.” Said Sandi. Centered City Yoga is located at 926 East 900 South, advanced registration is required and the registration fee will be donated 100% to the purchase of Bonanza Flat.
- Professional multi-sport athlete Andrew Muse has reached out to his contacts with the outdoor industry from Cloud 9 to Rosignol to Merrill who have donated product all proceeds going to the purchase of Bonanza Flat “The reason why I feel passionate about Save Bonanza Flats is that I am frustrated with the never ending development and exploitation of these beautiful places. If things keep going at this rate there will be nothing left for our children.” Said Andrew Muse whose multi-sport training was good practice for putting together this private event held at Rock and Reilly’s, 427 Main Street in Park City, starting at 7 pmon March 13th. “It would truly be a tragedy to lose such a beautiful and peaceful place. The reason I am putting this fundraiser event together is to leverage my resources to raise more money than I could alone and to save a piece of land I care very much about.” Said Muse. Utah Open lands will be on hand to accept donations and provide updates on the total raised to date. RSVPs are required to attend call Utah Open lands at (801) 463-6156.
- Whether it’s the 5K Park City Trail Series race with celebratory Kodiak cakes or a night at the sugar house Bonanza Fundraiser Paint Mixer or bidding on an on line auction item through the 23rd Park City Leadership class you have a chance to calm your mind, create a masterpiece, set a new personal best, and fill your social calendar going bananas benefitting bonanza.