Tell DHS to extend Temporary Protected Status (TPS) for immigrants!

November 1st, 2017|Action of the Day|0 Comments

Temporary Protective Status (TPS) is a humanitarian program that provides work and residence authorization to immigrants fleeing armed conflict or natural disasters. The Department of Homeland Security will decide next week whether or not to reauthorize the status of more than 325,000 people.

Ninety percent of TPS holders are from the countries of El Salvador, Honduras, and Haiti, which experienced deadly earthquakes and hurricanes. Many of these individuals have lived in the United States for decades, and the majority have US citizen children. All TPS holders are rigorously vetted, and a large majority contribute to the workforce.

The cost of deporting all these people – estimated to contribute more than 150 billion dollars annually to the US economy – would exceed 3 billion dollars.

The National Immigration Forum notes that the loss of work authorization is “expected to seriously impact several key industries in Texas and South Florida, further devastating local economies recovering from Hurricanes Harvey and Irma.”


  • Call your Senators and your US representative to urge DHS to extend Temporary Protective Status designation for El Salvador, Honduras, and Haiti. These people do not pose a threat to our country, but rather contribute significantly to our economy, and removing them would be a costly and wasteful expense.

Sen. Orrin Hatch (202) 224-5251 (DC) // (801) 524-4380 (SLC) // (801) 375-7881 (Provo) // (435) 634-1795 (St. George) // (801) 625-5672 (Ogden) // (435) 586-8435 (Cedar City)
Sen. Mike Lee 202-224-5444 (DC) // 801-524-5933 (SLC) // 435-628-5514 (St. George) // 801-392-9633 (Ogden)
Rep. Rob Bishop
 (Congressional District 1): 202-225-0453 (DC) // 801-625-0107 (Ogden)
Rep. Chris Stewart (Congressional District 2): 202-225-9730 (DC) // 801-364-5550 (SLC) // 435-627-1500 (St. George)
Rep. Mia Love (Congressional District 4): (202) 225-3011 (DC) // 801-996-8729 (West Jordan)

Not sure who your U.S. Representative is? Check here.

Leave A Comment

Go to Top