Happy New Year!
2017 was a terrific first year for Action Utah. We grew and evolved and helped thousands of Utahns use their voices to impact policies in our state and communities. We look forward to helping you make even more of an impact in 2018!
But we need your help.
Impact happens in Utah when ordinary people like you and me speak up about the things that matter to us. The more we take action — even small and easy actions — the more impact we make. We promise to keep bringing you education, training and advocacy opportunities to make taking action easy.
Make a resolution to impact state policy in 2018!
You already know how to make phone calls, send texts and write letters. Now you have a chance to take simple actions like these to advocate for good state policies that directly impact you and your community during the Utah State Legislative Session. Sometimes small numbers of constituents making informed and respectful comments to their legislators can make a BIG difference and sway legislative decision-making.
That’s why we’ve been working with legislators and advocacy groups all year to identify a slate of bills at the 2018 State Legislative Session that could use YOUR help. Impacting state policy is easier than you may think, and you don’t have to live in Salt Lake City or go to Capitol Hill to make a difference. In fact, those of you who live outside of Salt Lake often make even MORE impact when you speak up.
So resolve to put your advocacy efforts where you can make a real impact — advocating for good state policies for 45 days from January 22 through March 8, 2018.
Don’t worry, Action Utah will be with you every step of the way to give you the information, tools and actions you need to make an impact. Read on to find out more!
Women’s Advocacy Seminar – Wed, January 10, 12:00-1:30p at the Salt Lake Chamber. Learn how to advocate for good bills that positively impact women and families. Bring a sack lunch. Hosted by Action Utah and Women’s Leadership Institute. Free. Get tickets here.
Real Women Run Winter Training – Sat, January 13, all day at the SL Community College Miller Campus. Full-day training featuring workshops for everyone: current candidates and campaign managers, future candidates looking for information on where to start, and women who want to get more involved in public service. Register here.
Get ready for the State Legislative Session
The 2018 State Legislative Session runs for 45 days from January 22 through March 8. It is during this short window that our part-time state legislators must propose, debate and decide on over 1200 bills to create state laws and balance our budget. Community advocacy is essential in helping our legislators understand where their constituents stand on the issues and even providing crucial data and personal stories that impact decision-making. Let us help you get ready.
1. Make a State Legislative Session Activism Plan – Making a plan before the Legislative Session starts will allow you to take action quickly when your voice is needed to support or oppose a bill at the State Legislative Session. Use our handy State Legislative Session Activism Plan to get yourself ready by finding out who represents you and how to reach them, how to track bills and find out what’s happening on Capitol Hill and more. Find a printable version here. Learn more about the State Legislature here.
2. Mark your calendars for these great events – Action Utah is here to help you learn how to advocate for causes you care about — whether you want to send a few emails from home or lobby legislators at the Capitol. Join us to learn about the bills we’re tracking and how to impact them at one of these events:
Women’s Advocacy Seminar – Wed, January 10th, 12:00-1:30p. Learn about a slate of bills that impact women and families and how to advocate for them. Meet some of the legislators and advocates behind the bills and ask your questions about the State Legislative Session, advocacy and policy. Co-hosted by the Women’s Leadership Institute. Featuring: Pat Jones (CEO of Women’s Leadership Institute), Rep. Becky Edwards (R-Bountiful), and Rep. Rebecca Chavez Houck (D-Salt Lake). Free, but space is limited. Get your tickets today!
Annual Legislative Preview – Wed, January 24th, 7:00-8:30p at the Marmalade Branch Library, SLC. Hear from legislators about good bills that need your support during the 2018 State Legislative Session, plus get some Community Lobbying 101 training to learn how to impact those bills. Featuring: Rep. Becky Edwards, Rep. Brian King, Rep. Steve Handy, and Rep. Tim Quinn. Join us in person by RSVPing here or via Facebook Live video stream.
Weekly Lobby Days – Every Tuesday from January 30 through March 6th, 12:30p. Meet in the Seagull Room of the Senate (East) Building, Capitol Hill. Gather with other Action Utah members and leaders to learn about the State Legislature, the Legislative Session and advocacy at the Capitol.
3. Join an Action Team to get alerts about the issues you care about – Action Utah is tracking all kinds of bills during the State Legislative Session, including bills that tackle:
- Clean air
- Climate solutions
- Voting policy
- Suicide prevention
- Poverty reductiom
- Affordable housing
- Workplace discrimination
- Domestic violence prevention
- Paid family leave
- Renewable energy
And more! But impacting these bills sometimes means acting quickly when the time is right. Don’t miss your opportunity to support a bill that matters to you! Sign up to receive action alerts delivered directly to your inbox by joining one of these 4 Action Teams:
- PUBLIC HEALTH – Healthcare, addiction, suicide and the Utah Decides Healthcare ballot initiative
- FAMILIES & COMMUNITIES – Education, poverty & homelessness, women & families, immigrants & refugees
- ENVIRONMENTAL STEWARDSHIP – Air quality, energy policy, public lands and water policy
- GOVERNMENT – Voting policy, ethics and accountability, redistricting and the Better Boundaries ballot initiative
Let’s power into 2018!
We the people are powerful. At Action Utah we believe that ordinary people like you and me can help shape policy that better reflects the beliefs of a majority of Utahns. Let’s start by making an extra effort for just 45 days to help shape state policies we care about. Together we can make a difference in 2018!
Andrea & Katie
Co-Founders, Action Utah