Make an impact from across Utah!
We have spoken to Utahns across the state who feel ‘out of the loop’ since they don’t live in Salt Lake City and can’t easily access the Capitol during the State Legislative Session. The truth is, your voice matters just as much (and sometimes much more) living outside of Salt Lake if you use it to lobby your legislators from other parts of the state who can be less accustomed to hearing from their constituents.
No matter where you live:
- Make use of the state legislative website (le.utah.gov) to track bills and watch/listen to floor sessions and committee hearings live.
- Follow Action Utah’s Daily and Urgent calls to action on Facebook, Twitter or our Take Action! page (or join an Action Team to get action alerts sent to your inbox) and email or text your legislators when needed throughout the Session.
- Attend events to get educated about the State Legislative Session and how you can make an impact, even if you can only attend online. Most Acton Utah events are live streamed on our Facebook page for those of you who can’t attend in person. That means you can watch them live or after the fact.
It is important for legislators to hear from their constituents across the state. So don’t sit this State Legislative Session out. Pick an issue that matters to you and follow our cues as to how YOU can take action and help shape good state policy!
Action Utah on KRCL’s RadioActive at 6:00p TONIGHT! Tune in to 90.9 FM from 6:00-7:00p. Action Utah Executive Director, Andrea Himoff, and Policy Director, Carrie Butler, will discuss the legislative session, upcoming bills we are tracking and stories from our year of advocacy.
Press Conference: Stop the Bears Ears Giveaway Bill – Tues, January 9th, 10:00-11:00a, Utah State Capitol Rotunda, 350 N. State St, SLC. Show solidarity for Bears Ears National Monument by learning about Rep. Curtis’ H.R. 4532: Shash Jaa National Monument and Indian Creek National Monument Act. This bill would create two smaller monuments within the original Bears Ears National Monument and thereby make the dramatic downsizing of BENM permanent and stop all lawsuits questioning the legality of the cuts. Voice your opposition to the cuts by attending.
Women’s Advocacy Seminar – Wed, January 10, 12:00-1:30p at the Salt Lake Chamber. Learn how to advocate for good bills that positively impact women and families. Bring a sack lunch. Featuring: Pat Jones (former state senator and CEO of Women’s Leadership Institute), Rep. Becky Edwards (R-District 20) and Rep. Rebecca Chavez-Houck (D-District 24). Hosted by Action Utah and Women’s Leadership Institute. Free. This event is sold out, but you can watch online via Facebook Live during or after the event.
Real Women Run Winter Training – Sat, January 13, all day at the SL Community College Miller Campus. Full-day training featuring workshops for everyone: current candidates and campaign managers, future candidates looking for information on where to start, and women who want to get more involved in public service. Action Utah’s Executive Director, Andrea Himoff, will be running a session on community engagement. There’s something for everyone! Register here.
Respect Rally Park City – Sat, January 20th, 10:00-12:00p, north side of City Park in Park City. Honor the one-year anniversary of the National Women’s March and the local success of #MarchOnMain in Park City. More information and register here.
AU’s Annual Legislative Preview – Wed, January 24th, 7:00-8:30p, Marmalade Branch Library in Salt Lake. An evening with legislators learning about some of the great bills coming up during the State Legislative Session starting January 22 that need community support. Action Utah will also cover community lobbying tips and skills to help you make an impact on policy decisions at the state level. Featuring: Rep. Rebecca Chavez-Houck, Rep. Becky Edwards, Rep. Brian King, Rep. Steve Handy, and Rep. Tim Quinn.
Weekly Lobby Days – Every Tuesday from January 30 through March 6th, 12:30p. Meet in the Seagull Room of the Senate (East) Building, Capitol Hill. Gather with other Action Utah members and leaders to learn about the State Legislature, the Legislative Session and advocacy at the Capitol. No experience necessary!
1. Mark your calendar – Sign up to attend some of the great events listed above to get yourself educated and prepared to take action during the State Legislative Session.
2. Defend Bears Ears National Monument – Show Congress that Utahns oppose H.R. 4532: Shash Jaa National Monument and Indian Creek National Monument Act. This bill would create two smaller monuments within the original Bears Ears National Monument and thereby make the dramatic downsizing of BENM permanent. It would also stop all lawsuits questioning the legality of the monument cuts. This is serious for BENM.
- Attend the Press Conference:Stop the Bears Ears Giveaway Bill at the State Capitol at the same time that H.R. 4532 is being heard in Washington, TOMORROW, 10-11am.
- Spread the word on social media about the press conference and the implications of the bill on the original Bears Ears National Monument.
3. Sign up for the Clear the Air Challenge – During the inversion time, Utahns get most upset about bad air. While legislators are working at the Capitol to present some solutions, we need to do our part as well. The truth is that the large majority of our fine particle air pollution (PM 2.5) that creates our inversions is generated by us — through our vehicles and home heating/cooling and energy use. Making different choices in our everyday lives is the most important way we can impact air quality.
- Sign up to take part in the Clear the Air Challenge starting in February.
- Read up about the part YOU can take in cleaning up our air on the “What You Can Do” section of UCAIR’s informative website.
- Share social media posts about the Clear the Air Challenge and UCAIR’s clean air tips.
4. Check out our Tools and Resources – Action Utah makes it easy to learn about the State Legislative Session and what you can do to impact bills you care about. Start by checking out some of our tools and resources:
TOOL: State Legislative Session Activism PlanTIPS: Contacting Your Representatives
HOW TO: Find Your State and Local Representatives
ABOUT: The State Legislature
RESOURCE: Guide to Being an Effective Community Lobbyist
HOW TO: Write an Effective Letter to the Editor
5. Join one of our 4 Action Teams to get action alerts throughout the Session on the issues that matter to you most. Our Policy Coordinators have been tracking bills that need community support. Don’t miss your chance to impact the bills you care about in these issue areas:
- PUBLIC HEALTH – Healthcare, addiction, suicide and the Utah Decides Healthcare ballot initiative
- FAMILIES & COMMUNITIES – Education, poverty & homelessness, women & families, immigrants & refugees
- ENVIRONMENTAL STEWARDSHIP – Air quality, energy policy, public lands and water policy
- GOVERNMENT – Voting policy, ethics and accountability, redistricting and the Better Boundaries ballot initiative
Your voice matters!
No matter your party or your politics, our elected leaders need to hear more from their constituents. Don’t be afraid to use your voice. You don’t need to be an expert to take simple actions that can impact policy decisions. Let Action Utah show you how so you can help shape policy that better reflects your beliefs. But it’s up to you to take action. Step out of your comfort zone and step up your community engagement for 45 short days during the Legislative Session. You won’t regret it!
Yours in action,
Andrea & Katie
Action Utah Co-Founders
PS – New to Action Utah? Join us here.