After the tragic mass shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School high school in Parkland Florida
on February 14th, 2018 in which 17 students and teachers lost their lives, student
survivors managed to turn their grief into public activism and advocacy that has inspired a new political movement.
A national March For Our Lives will be held on Saturday March 24 at noon along Pennsylvania Avenue in Washington D.C. The organizers’ stated purpose of the march is to put pressure on Congress to pass stricter gun control legislation. Student organizers’ stated demands include that “their lives and safety become a priority, and that we end gun violence in our schools and communities.”
837 “sibling marches” are also being planned around the world that day, including 5 in Utah.
WHAT YOU CAN DO
Join a march in Utah on Saturday, March 24th!
- March for Our Lives Park City, 10:00am at the Brew Pub Parking lot, 230 Swede Alley. Sign up for the event here.
- St. George March for Our Lives, 10:00a at the DSU Eccles Fine Arts Building, S 700 E, St. George, UT 84770. The amazing students at Dixie State have organized a march from the Eccles Fine Arts Building to the Mayor’s office (approximately 1 mile). Be there to show your support for this important issue that affects all of us! Sign up here.
- March for Our Lives SLC, 11:00am-1:00pm. The student organizers of the event have asked supporters to assemble at West High School at 11am then proceed to March to the Capital at 11:30am. For more information please contact: marchforourlivesslc.com
- March for Our Lives Cedar City, 12:00p at the Southern Utah University-Clocktower, 351 University Blvd, Southern Utah University, Cedar City, UT 84720. Gather at the Southern Utah University clocktower with signs/posters of requests for common sense gun reform and march around campus to end up in the free speech zone in front of the SUU library for a talk-back on the issues. We march to say, “Enough Is Enough” and we request common sense gun reform legislation and improved attitudes from voters towards gun reform to help prevent these tragedies from continuing to happen. Sign up here.
- March for Our Lives Cache Valley, 2:00p at the Cache County Courthouse, 446 N 100 W, Logan, UT 84321. Kids and families welcome. RSVP here.