During a Senate oversight hearing, a top HHS official stated that the whereabouts of 1,475 immigrant children are unknown. Since this appalling information came to light, the problem of the missing children and separation of children from their families has become erroneously conflated. Yet both issues point to significant moral questions. And this week it was reported that an additional 658 children were separated fro families in just 13 days as a result of AG Jeff Sessions’ decision to prosecute every family at the border, regardless of requests for asylum. Our nation has a moral responsibility to protect children and treat them with basic decency, regardless of immigration status. This means we must:
- Vet caretakers thoroughly to prevent exposing kids to work- and sex traffickers.
- Hold detention facilities and border patrol accountable for child abuse.
- Keep better track of kids post-release to ensure their well-being (source and source).
- Additionally, we must stop the inhumane practice of separating children from parents as an immigration deterrent.
WHAT YOU CAN DO
As a taxpayer funding this egregious neglect of duty, urge elected and appointed officials to take full and immediate responsibility for the well-being and safety of vulnerable children and infants.
- Contact the following officials about one of the issues above.
- Still unclear about the facts? Read this fact-checking article about immigration policy.
Acting ICE Director Thomas Homan
Address: Immigration and Customs Enforcement, 500 12th St. SW, Washington, D.C. 20536
Your two senators and one House representative – Even if you think they A. already agree or B. don’t care. They work for you.
Sen. Orrin Hatch (202) 224-5251 (DC) // (801) 524-4380 (SLC) // (801) 375-7881 (Provo) // (435) 634-1795 (St. George) // (801) 625-5672 (Ogden) // (435) 586-8435 (Cedar City)
Sen. Mike Lee 202-224-5444 (DC) // 801-524-5933 (SLC) // 435-628-5514 (St. George) // 801-392-9633 (Ogden)
Rep. Rob Bishop (Congressional District 1): 202-225-0453 (DC) // 801-625-0107 (Ogden)
Rep. Chris Stewart (Congressional District 2): 202-225-9730 (DC) // 801-364-5550 (SLC) // 435-627-1500 (St. George)
Rep. John Curtis (Congressional District 3): (202) 225-7751 (DC) // (801) 851-2500 (Provo)
Rep. Mia Love (Congressional District 4): (202) 225-3011 (DC) // 801-996-8729 (West Jordan)
Address: Look up here.
[Adapted from Americans of Conscious]