Stand up for children and families in Utah
Too often family issues get pushed aside as unimportant or as individual instead of system problems that need public and private solutions jointly to create better outcomes for families, communities and the larger economy. This week we are highlighting five ways you can advocate for children.
1. RAISE UP YOUR VOICE FOR HIGH QUALITY, AFFORDABLE CHILD CARE. Across the country and here in Utah childcare can be prohibitively expensive — more costly than college tuition or even housing! That’s why Action Utah has made childcare a top priority for the 2019 State Legislative Session. Why does childcare matter to you and your community? We want to share your stories with decision makers to promote good solutions that benefit families, communities and the economy! Email us your stories today!
2. DEFEND THE CHILDREN’S HEALTHCARE INSURANCE PROGRAM (CHIP) IN THE FEDERAL BUDGET! Last month Trump proposed the rescission of $15 billion in previously approved federal spending, including a staggering $7 billion in cuts to the federal CHIP program, a traditionally bipartisan program that provides healthcare access to low-income children in Utah and across the country. The House has already approved the cuts. Call on our Utah Senators to oppose cuts to CHIP and support healthcare for Utah children!
3. HAVE YOU STOOD UP FOR IMMIGRANT FAMILIES? With the spike in child separations and detentions at the border, immigrant and refugee families are experiencing chaos and trauma. There’s still time for YOU to make a difference, and it only takes a few minutes! Call for improved conditions in immigrant detention centers and the protection of children regardless of immigration status, such as ending family separations.
4. CELEBRATE VOTING WITH YOUR KIDS! Teaching kids about voting from an early age is a great way to ensure your children will develop good voting and civic engagement habits later in life. Check out these tips and ideas for how to introduce your kids to voting during the 2018 midterm elections!
5. LEARN HOW TO ADVOCATE FOR EDUCATION ISSUES FOR UTAH CHILDREN. Education is one of those murky areas where parents, teachers and administrators alike are confused about how to make an impact. With different entities addressing community and school concerns, how do you know where to go with what issue, how to follow it up, and what resources are available? Action Utah is here to help! Register today for our Interim Session Tour of the State Capitol for a Spotlight Discussion on education advocacy!
6. …AND ALSO, REGISTER TO VOTE BY JUNE 19TH! June 19th is the deadline to register to vote online or in person at your County Clerk’s office to be eligible to vote in this month’s primary elections. Registering to vote can take just a minute or two! Updating your voter registration is also important to ensure you are eligible to vote and know your correct polling location. Find out more about How to Register to Vote here.
- Register to vote or update voter registration online HERE.
- Find your County Clerk’s office to register in person HERE.
- Last day to register to vote – Tues, June 19th. Register online or in person to qualify to vote in the primary election.
- Interim Session Tour of the State Capitol (Spotlight: Education Advocacy) – Wed, June 20th, 12:00-1:00p. Meet in the cafeteria on the ground floor of the Senate (East) Building. Click HERE for details and to register.
- Interim Session – Wed, June 20th, 8:30a-4:00p at the Utah State Capitol. Check out our RESOURCE: What is Interim Session? Then join us on the Hill! We invite community members of any experience level to join Action Utah at morning or afternoon legislative meetings and watch our legislative branch in action. Just email us to sign up!
- Early Voting ends – Fri, June 22nd. Find your in-person polling location by contacting your County Clerk.
- Primary Election – Tues, June 26th
Thank you for using your voice!
You can make a difference for Utah children and families! Thanks for taking a few minutes out of your busy week to advocate for the issues that matter to you!
Executive Director, Action Utah