Utah experiences some of the nations highest suicide rates. September is Suicide Prevention Month. Everyone plays a role in suicide prevention. Mark your calendar for one of these events to recognize those impacted by suicide and grow your awareness about the issue.
1. NATIONAL WEEKEND OF PRAYER FOR FAITH, HOPE AND LIFE, SEPTEMBER 7-9.
If you are a member of a faith community–or a subscriber to the power of prayer–consider joining the National Weekend of Prayer for Faith, Hope and Life to pray for those whose lives have been touched by suicide in recognition of Suicide Prevention Day on September 10th. The Utah Suicide Prevention Coalition and the National Action Alliance for Suicide Prevention invite faith communities and people of faith across the nation to participate. Show your support by:
- Pledge to Pray: Show your commitment to this annual event by pledging to pray.
- Visit www.PrayFaithHopeLife.org and download resources to help your community participate in this event.
2. LIVE IN REAL LIFE: FREE PARENT EDUCATION & AWARENESS NIGHT, SEPTEMBER 17, 6-8P.
TED speakers Colin Kartchner and Katey McPhereson share their wisdom as educators, child advocates and parents on the impacts of social media and overall screen time on our children’s mental health, safety and well being to raise awareness about suicide prevention. Learn how to balance screen time and device use, protect and cultivate our children’s self-worth and devise a sensible family use plan.
The event includes Q&A with a panel and also vendor booths with info about counseling, health insurance, medical resources, suicide prevention and more.
- LOCATION: Riverton High School, 12476 S Silverworth Way, Riverton
Sponsored by the Jordan School District, City of Riverton, Jackson Allan DDS, Smith Dental Care, Herriman Pediatric Dentistry and Johnson Orthodontics. No children please.