Are you a parent? A teacher or coach? Do you work with an at-risk population or in a community that may experience suicide? Do you know someone who is suicidal but aren’t sure how to approach them or help? A small commitment of your time could help save someone’s life!
Become a Gatekeeper!
A gatekeeper is someone in a position to recognize a crisis and the warning signs that someone may be contemplating suicide. Gatekeepers can be anyone, including parents, friends, neighbors, teachers, ministers, doctors, nurses, office supervisors, squad leaders, foremen, police officers, advisors, caseworkers, firefighters, and many others who are strategically positioned to recognize and refer someone at risk of suicide.
You can become a Gatekeeper by taking a 1-2 hour QPR Training course. QPR stands for Question, Persuade, Refer — the 3 easy steps that can help save a life from suicide.
As a QPR-trained Gatekeeper you will learn to:
- Recognize the warning signs of suicide
- Know how to offer hope
- Know how to get help and save a life
WHAT YOU CAN DO
Get QPR training to save lives. Take a 1-2 hour QPR (Question Persuade Refer) Training to learn 3 simple steps that can help save a life from suicide. Do a search for QPR Trainings near you, or use one of these free or low-cost community offerings:
- Healthy Riverton is offering free QPR Training on the third Thursday of each month. Utah County offers free 1-hour trainings on request.
- The Weber County Sheriff’s office offers free trainings to schools, churches and other orgs or trainings to businesses for a nominal fee. The Weber-Morgan Health Department also offers trainings.
- Weber State University lists their upcoming QPR Trainings here.
- Summit County holds monthly QPR Trainings.
- Tooele City held a training last week — stay tuned for future training dates.
- NuHope offers free and low-cost safeTALK trainings (similar to QPR) in Davis County.
- Southwest Behavioral Health Center offers free QPR Training to any group of 5 or more people.
Share information about QPR and these community trainings with your colleagues, communities and social media network!