Each month between May and November state legislators come together for an “Interim Session” to study issues and policy proposals facing our state and draft legislation. Interim committee meetings are held throughout the day and are open to the public. The next Interim Session is TOMORROW, and Action Utah will be there all day. We invite you to come along!
3 Ways to participate in Interim
- Attend Interim with Action Utah as an observer! Attending Interim can be not only fun and informative, it can also be helpful to other Utahns! Meet with our team, sit in a committee hearing, record your observations and we’ll share what you learned with our members. No experience necessary, and we’ll be there to guide you. Email us to join us as an observer at tomorrow’s Interim Session (committee meetings are at 8:15-11:15a and 1:00-4:00p)!
- Join Action Utah for our lunchtime “Tour & Talk: Housing and Homelessness” to find out from Action Utah, Utah Housing Coalition and Shelter the Homeless what is happening around housing and homelessness issues in Utah and what legislation may be coming up. This lunchtime event is from 12:00-1:00p in the Seagull Room. Register here.
- Listen to Interim on your own. Use our handy June Interim Action Guide to decide what meetings and issues matter most to you and attend in person or by listening live or after the fact via the State Legislative Website at le.utah.gov.
Top 5 Reasons to participate in Interim
- It’s the public’s right to know what our legislators are talking about – that’s why all meetings and buildings are open to the public!
- Interim can be fun! Seriously. Spend 15 minutes in a committee meeting, and you might just get hooked!
- It’s an excellent way to learn about our political process, the issues and how our legislators are talking about them!
- It’s a chance to meet your own state legislators. Send a quick email or text to your legislators before tomorrow to see if they have 5 minutes to meet with you so you can see who represents you on Capitol Hill and what they care about. You can share with them what issues you care about too!
- It’s helpful to your community advocacy efforts to know more about how our system works.
Can’t come this week?
Join us next time! Action Utah will be at every Interim Session, with a Tour & Talk on different important subjects. Mark your calendar for upcoming Interim Sessions and Action Utah’s Tour & Talks (always held at noon in the Seagull Room):