WHAT YOU CAN DO
- Submit a public comment through the task force website, StrongerFutures.utah.gov.
- Attend the final town hall meeting in Lehi and provide your comments in person.
- Write a letter to the editor or op-ed to express your voices on tax reform.
HB 441 was proposed by Rep. Tim Quinn (R-Heber) during the 2019 State Legislative Session, proposing taxes on a variety of services to modernize the tax structure and provide needed future revenue. The measure ultimately failed after bitter debates and strong opposition from service industries. As a result, a legislative task force was created to come up with recommendations for a new bill. A special session is planned for later this year to implement the task force’s recommendations. If a consensus cannot be reached by then, a bill will be introduced during the 2020 State Legislative Session.
Utah State Legislature’s Tax Restructuring and Equalization Task Force
The Tax Restructuring and Equalization Task Force was created by legislation via HB 495 at the end of the 2019 State Legislative Session to study tax reform and make recommendations to the Legislature. At the first meeting on May 30, the task force created a vision, purpose and guiding principles. You can find audio recording and materials from that meeting here.
Check out the tax force website at StrongerFutures.utah.gov.
Members of the task force include:
Appointed by Senate President Stuart Adams:
Senator Lyle Hillyard, Co-Chair
Senator Curt Bramble
Senator Kirk Cullimore
Senator Lincoln Fillmore
Senator Karen Mayne
Gary Cornia (Non voting)
Keith Prescott (Non voting)
Appointed by House Speaker Brad Wilson:
Representative Francis Gibson, Co-Chair
Representative Joel Briscoe
Representative Tim Quinn
Representative Mike Schultz
Representative Robert Spendlove
Kristen Cox (Non voting)
Steve Young (Non voting)
Past task force town halls
- June 25, Brigham City, Utah State University Brigham Campus, multipurpose room, 989 S. Main. Open house – 6 p.m. Town hall meeting – 7 p.m. Report from Utah Public Radio.
- June 27, Kearns, Chamber West Element Event Center, 5658 S. Cougar Lane (4800 West). Open house – 6 p.m. Town hall meeting – 7 p.m. Report from Deseret News.
- June 28, Richfield, Sevier County Fairgrounds, exhibit hall, 410 E. 200 South. Open house – 5 p.m. Town hall meeting – 6 p.m. Report from SL Trib.
- June 29, St. George, Dixie Tech, auditorium and lobby, 610 S. Tech Ridge Drive. Open house – 1 p.m. Town hall meeting – 2 p.m. Report from St. George News.
- July 8, Kaysville, Davis Tech, Business Resource Center, main conference room, 450 S. Simmons Way. Open house – 6 p.m. Town hall meeting – 7 p.m.
- July 9, Roosevelt, Crossroads Senior Center, 50 E. 200 South. Open house – 6 p.m. Town hall meeting – 7 p.m.
- July 20, Moab, Grand Center, 182 N. 500 West. Open house – 1 p.m. Town hall meeting – 2 p.m.