September is Suicide Prevention Month, and this week is National Suicide Prevention Week – an annual week-long campaign in the United States to inform and engage health professionals and the general public about suicide prevention and warning signs of suicide.
Utah has the 5th highest suicide rate in the nation. But suicide is preventable. Here are a few things you can do this month to support people, programs and policies for suicide prevention.
WHAT YOU CAN DO
- Check out AFSP’s Suicide Prevention Week Resources
- Are you an individual or organization dedicated to suicide prevention? Get to know the Utah Suicide Prevention Coalition
- Community Advocates – Join Action Utah’s Suicide Prevention Engagement Team (details below!)
Join Action Utah’s Suicide Prevention Engagement Team
Action Utah works on a range of evidence-based suicide prevention initiatives and policies. Our work opens doors for community members to play a key advocacy role to ensure Utah puts measures in place that will save lives. We invite you to join a specialized Action Team focused on specific things community members can do to advocate for evidence-based suicide prevention initiatives such as:
- Mental health services
- Health care coverage
- Firearms safety programs
- Utah’s red flag law
WHAT DO TEAM MEMBERS DO?
Our Action Teams are simply email alert lists for community members who want to take action on a specific issue. Get alerts in your inbox – take the actions you can. It’s that easy!
Your name will be added to our email alert list to get specific actions delivered to your inbox around suicide prevention advocacy. No experience necessary – Action Utah will provide training and materials where necessary! Actions may include:
- Write an email to your elected official
- Meet in person with your elected official with other constituents
- Attend a meeting, event or rally
- Write a letter to the editor
- Lobby legislators during the State Legislative Session
COMMUNITY ADVOCACY IS CRITICAL!
Our elected officials need to hear from constituents to enact life-saving policies! Actions are already underway by community members just like you, but there is much to be done! NOW is an important time to join the team.