Thinking about running for office in 2020? Here are some resources to help you investigate the possibility!
WHAT YOU CAN DO
- Think about where you might want to run. Don’t forget to consider leadership positions at the city and county level, in your local district school board, in one of Utah’s boards or commissions or in your local neighborhood community council or school community council!
- Get to know the basics of How to Run for Office at Any Level of Government with Action Utah’s helpful resource!
- Get involved with community organizations helping candidates, like Real Women Run, Womens’ Leadership Institute, Elect Women Utah, Emerging Leaders Initiative and SpringBoard Utah.
- Start building your support base – Talk to friends, family, neighbors and colleagues about your candidacy and the issues you stand for. Find the ambassadors who will champion you and help spread your message.
- Let us know if you are planning to run by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Although we do not endorse individual candidates, we list all members who let us know they are running for office!
2020 Election dates
- August 15, 2019 – December 2, 2019: Declaration of candidacy period for president candidates.
- January 2, 2020: Candidates may declare intent to gather signatures.
- March 3, 2020: Presidential Primary Election (if a political party chooses to participate).
- March 13, 2020 – March 19, 2020: Declaration of candidacy period (except president, vice president, and lieutenant governor candidates).
- June 23, 2020: Regular Primary Election.
- November 3, 2020: Regular General Election.