Elected officials are just like you and me. The only difference is that they ran for office. You can too!
Running for office can be an extremely gratifying experience and a boost to career and leadership skills for the future. If you are at all open-minded about running for office, NOW is the time to start planning! Don’t underestimate the experience and knowledge you already have (that includes you, Utah women!).
The 2020 Elections are coming up, with filing dates as early as January 2, 2020!
WHAT YOU CAN DO
- Use our guide: How to run for office at any level of government to learn what positions are available and the steps you need to take to become a candidate in Utah
- Mark your calendar now with important filing and election dates (see below)
- Look for candidate resources and training from great organizations like Real Women Run, Women’s Leadership Institute and Emerging Leaders Initiative
- Running for office? Let us know! We like to keep track of who is running for what across the state! Simply send us an email.
2020 Election Important Dates
- January 2, 2020: Candidates may declare intent to gather signatures.
- March 3, 2020: Presidential Primary Election (if a political party chooses to participate).
- March 13, 2020 – March 19, 2020: Declaration of candidacy period (except president, vice president, and lieutenant governor candidates).
- June 23, 2020: Regular Primary Election.
- November 3, 2020: Regular General Election.