Last week, U.S. Senators Michael Bennet (D-Colo.) and Rob Portman (R-Ohio) introduced the bipartisan Eviction Crisis Act to address the national housing crisis crippling millions of Americans who are struggling to rise into the middle class. The new legislation will shed light on the root causes of the eviction crisis, reduce preventable evictions, and limit the devastation to families when eviction is unavoidable.
As states like Utah face rising home prices, a growing affordable housing shortage and the social, health and education impacts from housing instability, now is the time for government action. But action requires support from the community. That’s where YOU come in!
WHAT YOU CAN DO
Call on Senators Mike Lee and Mitt Romney to support this crucial piece of legislation.
- Call Sen. Mitt Romney 202-224-5251 (DC) // 801-524-4380
- Call Sen. Mike Lee 202-224-5444 (DC) // 801-524-5933 (SLC) // 435-628-5514 (St. George) // 801-392-9633 (Ogden)
- Fact sheet about the Emergency Assistance Fund
- Full text of the legislation
- Press release from Senators Bennet and Portman
- Senator Bennet’s Eviction Crisis Act website
- NYT article about the bill: “Many renters who face eviction owe less than $600“
[Adapted from Utah Housing Coalition]