Municipal Offices are nonpartisan elected in odd years. These positions are within your local level of government such as a city or town. These offices include Mayor, City Council, City Officer and Special Service District positions. Municipal Elections are run by your City Recorder’s Office.



The Mayor acts as chief executive and oversees their city’s main departments and is responsible for implementing legislation passed by the council. 

City Manager

Some cities may have a City Manager instead or in addition to the City Mayor. Managers are generally appointed by the council or Mayor. Managers are administrative heads who, like Mayors, oversee the city departments, and implement legislation by the Council.

City Council

The City Council acts as the legislative branch of the city government. The council looks to the city’s goals, major projects and infrastructure improvements.

Special Service District Positions

Special service districts provide specific services that are not being provided by existing governments. Most perform a single function, but in some instances, legislation allows them to provide several, usually related, types of services. Positions may vary by municipality as new districts can be formed to suit the needs of the municipality.

  • Parks and Recreation Board of Trustees – The Parks & Rec Board coordinates recreation activities throughout their municipality.
  • Sewer Board of Trustees – The Sewer Board of Trustees is responsible for providing wastewater collection and treatment for homes and businesses within the boundaries of their municipality.
  • Water Board of Trustees – The Water Board of Trustees ensures that water facilities for their municipality meet Utah state standards to deliver safe, clean, reliable, drinking water
  • Fire Districts – Fire District Board members determine general fire protection and rescue programs for the municipality.


Mayor, Council, Manager

    1. Candidate must be a registered voter in the municipality.
    2. Be a resident of the municipality for 12 months immediately preceding the date of the election, and in the case of Council member, be a resident of the council district 12 months immediately preceding the date of election
    3. Have no other compensated employment with city Corporation
    4. Register a Personal Campaign Committee before receiving any political contributions or spending any money for campaign expenses
    5. File periodic Campaign Finance Statements

Special Service Districts

    1. A district board member may not be employed by the district either as an employee or under a contract. There is an exception to this requirement when:
      1. fewer than 3,000 people live within 40 miles of the primary place of employment, the job opening has had reasonable public notice, and the person employed is the best qualified candidate for the position.
      2. Or if the district treats a board member as an employee for income tax purposes and complies with the applicable compensation limits.
    2. A district board member must also be a registered voter and a resident within the boundaries of the district. There are two exceptions to the residency requirement: 
      1. For districts with a large number of part time residents (seasonally occupied homes), 
      2. For basic local districts with less than one residential dwelling per ten acres of land.

Filing Deadlines

  • Early June: Declaration of Candidacy over a short 4 day period 
  • Early September: Last day to qualify as a write-in
  • Mid-August: Primary Election
  • The Tuesday following the first Monday in November: General Election

For a more complete to-date list of dates and deadlines, which may vary each year, please check with your County Clerk or City Recorder’s Office.

Election Procedures

  1. Candidates must file for candidacy at their City Recorder’s Office. Your City Recorder’s information can be found easily on your city government’s website.
  2. Candidates must pay a Filing Fee, or submit a Filing Fee Waiver Petition.
  3. Register a Personal Campaign Committee before receiving any political contributions or spending any money for campaign expenses.
  4. File periodic Campaign Finance Statements.


Go to Top